Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Did You Get New Teeth??!!

Sunday night, Allison called. My 99 year old Grandma had called her and thought Alex (who lives in the Boston area) was at her house and kept hiding from her. My Mom and I went to see what was going on and she was really looney. Hauled her to the ER where she entertained the whole waiting room for several hours. She had lost her hearing aid so was talking extremely loud and commenting on the other people in the room. Then, out of the clear blue, she looked at me and asked, "Did you get new teeth?" "No, Grandma, I've had these teeth since second grade." (I'm 54!) How she ever had her wits about her to call Allison, I'll never know.

They kept her there and Monday morning she swore she and I had played Bingo the night before. She was mad because she'd lost some money and was sure my Mom had stolen it :) If you didn't laugh, you'd cry. Poor Grandma! She's got all the nurses charmed and her labs and everything else are coming back amazingly within normal range. She seems to be very healthy but a bit whacked out. Probably small strokes. The sad part of it is that she'll never be able to live alone again. And she's always said she'd never go to a nursing home. Just proves you can never say never :(
Although she and my Mom are close, they're like oil and water so I'm going to have to be the poor sap that breaks the nursing home news to her :(

No comments: