Saturday, March 7, 2009

Bully Sticks


These are Stella's new favorite treat. I gave her one yesterday and she gnawed on it for a long time. And she's been carrying around the 2 inch piece that she has left since last night.
I'm kind of a freak but I am pretty strict about her food. The only human food she gets is a little peanut butter in a chew toy in the mornings. Other than that, it's all dog food. And I buy her high quality, all natural dog food and treats.
I picked the Bully Stick up at the pet store when I went to buy dog food yesterday. It was sitting in a box at the counter and you could buy them individually. Kind of like the candy in the check out lane at the grocery store, set there to tempt you :)
So I buy it and like I said, she loved it. It was quite costly to buy it that way so I Googled it, looking for a cheaper source. Here is what I found out:
So let's dot the i's and cross the t's - what are bully sticks made from? A bully stick, or what it is also called, a beef pizzle, beef stick, pizzle stick, steer stick, is 100% bull penis. Bull penis is the only ingredient of bully sticks.While processing, the bull's penis that is usually measures around 23-25 inches in length, is removed and cleaned. Manufactures of bully sticks hang the pizzles vertically to allow containing fluids to fully run out. Without these fluids the bully stick is odorless. At the next stage of processing bully sticks are stretched, twisted and then dried or/and smoked. The outcome is a 30-40 inches long hard brown stick which is then cut into pieces appropriate for dogs of all sizes. You can choose small bully sticks of 4'', large beef pizzles of 30'' and any length between.
Hmmmm, who knew? A pizzle??!!
P.S. There's a case of 25 winging its way to Stella even as I type :) Eeeeuwww!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My girls love bully sticks too. Be prepared when you open the bulk package--the odor is surprising!

Anonymous said...

I Can't Stop Laughing !!!!!!!!!

Pam said...

LOL!! Who knew such a thing existed??? We've been trying to go more natural for all of us, including the dog. I'm not sure if I'm ready for a bully stick. LOL.

Shylah said...

I am so happy to hear Stella is not given table scraps! I cannot stand people who give their dogs food that is bad for them and that creates a table begging pooch. And the pizzle is quite nasty when you think about it. But she's a dog, they love disgusting things!

Bully Sticks said...

Bully sticks are good for your dog's jaw and dental area. You just have o make sure that you get your bully sticks only from a good source.

RHurst said...

Who knew? My friend has actually been telling me about bully sticks and how much her dog loves them. I am not so sure I want to buy them now.