Friday, August 15, 2008

School Supplies

A local credit union was collecting school supplies for underpriviledged kids in our area yesterday afternoon. I bought three cases of spiral notebooks, 6 backpacks, a case of 24 count crayons, 80 glue sticks and 200 pencils. Allison also bought a ton of stuff and we were planning to take the boys along so that they could get into the spirit of giving.

Allison had a migraine so I picked up her supplies and headed over to day care to pick up the boys. It was snack time and they were having ice cream sandwiches so they were a little reluctant to leave. After Irene promised they could have the ice cream today, we were off.

As soon as I lifted the hatch on my car, two men came over to help carry the supplies to the big yellow school bus. Jameson and Gage each brought in a bag and were so cute, a lady there asked to take their picture by the bus :) Unfortunately, Grandma left her camera in the car.

That done, we headed over to the front of the credit union where they were painting faces, applying tattoos, tossing bean bags and jumping in a bounce house. The boys had fun and even got to visit with a local cop who was all decked out in uniform, handing out trading cards. It's kind of funny to see the local police on their own trading cards but Gage thought it was cool.

After all the fun, we were treated to hot dogs and Sprite. Gage ate almost a whole hot dog and Jameson ate one without the bun.

When it was time to go, Jameson insisted he was still hungry and wanted to stop at McDonald's next door for a double cheeseburger. The little stinker ate a whole one and half of Gage's along with some french fries, while Gage ate the other half of his double cheeseburger and a whole bag of apples.

After climbing on the playground equipment for awhile, we headed to K-Mart for the Ben 10 watches I promised them for babysitting Stella next week. Shopping done, we came home, picked up Stella and dropped over at my Mom's house for a few minutes. My sister Mary was there which is a whole other post :(

Finally, we were on our way home. I sure hope they were tired out, because I sure was. And I sure hope they learned a little about sharing what we have been blessed with.

2 comments:

t said...

That's such a nice gesture for you to donate to underprivileged children. ♥

Anonymous said...

What on Earth would I do without you? Thank you for always picking up my slack! I love you and appreciate you!