Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Treat Whore!!

So, Stella had her appointment with the vet on Thursday. Dr. Thunshelle always gives her treats to distract her while he's giving her shots. He remarked that she was very "treat driven." I told him it was indeed a treat because I don't give her many. He then suggested that I give her lots of treats. Any time she does what I want, I should treat her. Going potty, sitting, etc. He said that's what he'd do.
OK, then.

Before Thursday, we were doing quite well on the potty training, except that she didn't bark to go out to pee. Just to poop. I took her out on a regular basis and she was learning to pee on command however. But I still wanted her to bark to go out so I wouldn't have to watch her so close anymore.
So, I decided to take his advice and started treating her every time she pees or poops outside.
Great, she's now barking to go out to pee.... EVERY. FIVE. MINUTES!!!! And I can't ignore her bark at the door cuz you just know, the time I do, she'll have to go really bad and have an accident.
Interestingly enough, she always pees when I take her out or maybe she's just posturing?? Heck if I know and I WILL NOT run my hand under her to see if she's wet.
I've now resorted to giving her a 1/4 of a tiny training treat. By the way, she loves the peanut butter flavored ones best :) Tomorrow we're cutting back on the treats and using just verbal praise as before.
The good part is that she is barking to go out to pee.
Dr. Thunshelle, I love ya man and think you're a great vet, but you've created a MONSTER!!!

2 comments:

scissorbill said...

Your daughters are very treat driven too. Now where the hell are my dill pickle sunflower seeds?

Mother Goose said...

On the counter in my scraproom! :) I'm waiting to get that check so I can go to the post office just once :)