Thursday, January 7, 2010

Snow

We set a new snowfall record for the month of December. 30.8 inches. We also got a couple more inches yesterday :(

Last year about this time when it was so cold out, one night I heard water running. I was very sick and weak but investigated the best I could. Couldn't find the source so I went to bed. The next morning, I still heard water running so I called a plumber. It seemed the loudest when I opened the front door.
So, the plumber comes and looks around. He figured out that the outside faucet in front was open. Strange that it would just suddenly start running when it was buried under about a foot of snow. At any rate, he dug out the faucet and sure enough, it was running. Thankfully, I did not get any water in my basement, I just got a big plumbing bill.

So, last night when I was getting ready for bed, I heard water running. SHIT! I was pretty sure what was happening. I don't own boots or snow pants so I just pulled on a pair of yoga pants and a long pair of slippers over the top. I climbed through about 2 feet of snow in the 30 below windchill to get to the outside faucet. I dug through the snow with my gloved hands until I uncovered the faucet and sure enough, it was running. WTF??? How does that happen? Is it the weight of the snow or the incredible cold?
What if this would've happened the week my Mom was here with Stella? Would she have heard the water or figured it was just a neighbor running water? Or what if I had taken Stella with me? Last year the plumber was mystified so I don't think having a plumber look at it again will help anything and it'll just cost me money. I wonder if there's a shut off for that faucet in the house. I know I have the shut off valve for the rest of the building so if I get the wrong one shut off, the other condos won't have water but I will. I think I need to talk to the builder.

2 comments:

LBJ11 said...

Maybe you could put a plastic shield over the spigot - like some people put over their basement window well. Seems like the weight of the snow is turning the water on. Really a weird thing, though.

Mother Goose said...

I had that thought too and will probably do something like that when it thaws out around here. Probably May :)
I also asked Karter and he thinks it's because once it's covered in snow, the snow insulates it and it warms up causing the faucet to open a bit. But yeah, I think a plastic cover is in order.