Saturday, June 20, 2009

They Call Me Tator...

Tator salad :)
Allison decided to grill brats and burgers tomorrow for Father's Day. I volunteered to make Easy Baked Beans and to whip up a batch of potato salad. Yeah, right! Whip... that's a joke!
When you start out with 5 pounds of potatoes and 10 eggs, there ain't no whipping going on! It just took me two hours to make this potato salad.
I did get some chores done during the break I took while dicing the potatoes but still! Two hours??!!
Guess the Easy Baked Beans I make tomorrow won't be any quicker.
Easy Baked Beans
1 pound bacon, chopped
1 pound hamburger
2 medium onions, diced
2-15 oz. cans pork & beans
2-15 oz. cans garbanzo beans, drained
2-15 oz. cans lima beans, drained
2 Tbsp. molasses
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. vinegar
* Fry bacon until crispy. Drain on paper towel, reserving 1 Tbsp. grease. Fry onion in reserved bacon grease until golden brown. Brown hamburger. Add salt and pepper. Drain. Combine with remaining ingredients in covered casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.

2 comments:

Linda and Bill said...

The recipe sounds scrumptious - but Good grief! How big is the casserole? That's enought to feed an army!

Mother Goose said...

Yes, it is :)
The original recipe calls for half those amounts but I'm feeding 2-3 hungry men, three ravenous boys and 3-4 woman. Depends if my brother and his wife come. I only make it when we're having a crowd so I double it. It's nice to have leftovers to send with Karter (and Babs if he's there) for lunch the next day too.

You can play around with the beans, butter beans, kidney beans, whatever instead of limas and garbanzo, just be sure to use the pork and beans.