Friday, March 11, 2011

Using Leftovers

I hate to throw away food so I was very proud of myself for using a lot of leftovers this week.
I had friends over for dinner Tuesday night and made chicken and mashed potatoes and gravy. I had chicken leftover and also some cream from the mashed potatoes so I made chicken fettucine alfredo yesterday. It was very good :)

I found a couple of boneless, skinless chicken breasts in my freezer last week when I was cleaning and had a package of shredded Mexican cheese left from a party I had on Sunday. I bought flour tortillas, used a can of diced tomatoes and an onion I had in my pantry along with the chicken breasts and cheese and made four chicken quesadillas for my freezer yesterday. They're so handy to have because they heat up as fast as a frozen pizza but are twice as good.

I had two flour tortillas leftover from the quesadillas so tonight, going with the same theme, I used two slices of bacon I had leftover from Sunday, a couple of eggs, the last of the Mexican cheese and made breakfast burritoes for supper.

Years ago when I was cooking for a family, I planned meals using leftovers like that. Nowdays it's just a happy accident when it happens.

No comments: